Brian T. Coughlin
Brian Coughlin is an accomplished litigator and one of northeast Florida’s promising young leaders. His practice focuses on matters of criminal justice. He has been repeatedly recognized as a Rising Star in criminal defense by Super Lawyers and in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite. He is ranked by his peers at the highest level of professional excellence for legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards.
Coughlin is the current chairperson of The Florida Bar Professional Ethics Committee and the Litigation Section of the Jacksonville Bar Association. He serves on the Board of Directors for the Tom Coughlin Jay Fund Foundation, as well as the Board of Trustees for Daniel Kids.
Coughlin received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in 2000, and a law degree from the University of Florida in 2003. Coughlin prosecuted criminal matters at the State Attorney’s Office in Jacksonville before joining the Bedell Firm. His wife, Susie, is a graduate of the University of Michigan and Columbia University. They have three children.
AREA OF PRACTICE
– Criminal Defense (State and Federal Courts)
– Florida Bar Matters
– Internal Investigations
– Personal Injury/Wrongful Death
– Professional Licensing
– Florida, 2004
– U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
– U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
– U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
HONORS & AWARDS
– Florida’s Legal Elite
– Super Lawyers
– Martindale-Hubbell AV
– University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida, 2003, J.D.
– University of Michigan, 2000, B.S., Political Science
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
– Jacksonville Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2017-2018
– The Florida Bar, Professional Ethics Committee, 2012-present; Chair, 2016-2017
– Leadership Jacksonville, Class of 2016
– Daniel Kids Memorial, Inc., Board of Trustees, 2014-present
– Tom Coughlin Jay Fund, Board of Directors, 2011-present
– American Bar Association, 2007-present
– Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Division, 2007-present
– Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2007-present
– National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2007-present
– Jacksonville Bar Association, Litigation Section Chair, 2016-2017
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
– State Attorney’s Office in Jacksonville, Assistant State Attorney, 2004-2007